Feature: I Asked Writer/Director Sean Hartofilis A Few Questions About His Recent Film Beach Pillows, Here's What He Had To Say

"It's going to be the best fucking movie you've ever seen!"

______________________________________________

Ever since I created this blog I've been wanting to write feature's as well as giving you guys some of my reviews and the latest movie news. I just couldn't decide what to write about. But I couldn't have imagined my first written feature would be this. Recently I reviewed a small indie picture titled Beach Pillows (which you can find by clicking here) and was surprised to receive a message, via Twitter, from the films writer & director Sean Hartofilis. 

The lightbulb above my noggin switched on and I jumped at the opportunity to ask him a few questions about the film and his inspirations behind making it. 




Here's how my first Q&A went down:

- Hi Sean, first off I would just like to congratulate you on the film, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

[Sean]: Thank you very much, Matt. I love to hear that.

Q1. So what were your inspirations behind making Beach Pillows?

[Sean]: So many. I'd say the chief inspiration was an emotional confusion and perhaps despair after college, just being unsure of what comes next and, if I did know what I wanted, how to get it. So the healthy and very helpful outlet for me was to write this story about it. It's like Kerouac said, "I have nothing to offer but my own confusion." But then Fitzgerald said something about the beauty of sharing these emotions and experiences in order to feel less alone, to connect to something bigger than yourself. So, yes, there were many inspirations, but the big thing is doing something about it. In the end, inspiration seems a little more passive, like these things are all coming to your door. Whereas, writing something or doing anything that ends up making you feel good, that's always active.

More tangibly, the Midwood Furnishing uniforms were inspired by the naval uniforms in The Last Detail. The palette was inspired by Snow White. The song "Change Your Ground", which I wrote and which Angie Correa and Mike Hughes performed, was inspired by Civil Rights songs like "A Change is Gonna Come" and "We Shall Overcome", and also inspired by not being able to get those songs. Oh, and Nick's red bathing suit, which ends up being Morgan's, was inspired by The Karate Kid.

Q2. I read somewhere that it took you 11 years to get this film off the ground! Is this true? And what did you do during that time?

[Sean]: I probably said something about that wherever you read about the 11 years! No, I did a lot of things. I lived in LA for three years, where I assisted a director and a producer. I made a lot of shorts and wrote other scripts. I played professional lacrosse for a summer, and I coached a bunch. I really enjoyed coaching and hope to do it again. I locked myself away for months and just studied movies. I met the band The Deadly Syndrome who provided a lot of music for the film. I worked on a bunch of TV shows, mostly reality, back in New York in various roles. I got married. With regard to Beach Pillows, I just studied and worked and prepared myself to make it as well as I could.
What also happened over the course of those 11 years is I realized I was actually living this story. There's a phrase for this. Life imitating art? That's not what I'm looking for. Self-fulfilling prophecy (thanks Jesse and Will)! Anyway, I moved home and all that. It was interesting and slightly dreary at times, but I generally stayed positive and it definitely all helped.

Q3.  So what made you decide to go into the film industry?

[Sean]: I wanted to make movies. I've always loved them. I grew up watching old movies with my dad. I took all the film classes offered in college and got great feedback on those films. At first I thought I might want to act in these things that I write, but I soon realized that an actor, unless you're at the top of the heap, doesn't have very much control. You kind of have to take what you can get. I have very specific ideas about these stories I want to tell, and I'm anxious and sensitive enough as it is, so that wouldn't do.

Q4. For any aspiring film makers out there that are looking to do their first feature. What advice would you give them? 

[Sean]: Make it--any way you have to. Technology has created so many new opportunities to make these things of a high quality and then get them to an audience, so it's all about how much you're willing to put into it. And if you're able to attach an actor that people recognize, that might help you raise money or secure distribution. But learn as much as you can and work as hard as you can. And be prepared to fail. Like Joyce said, "Mistakes are the portals of discovery." Man, people are going to think I'm so pretentious but I love these little aphorisms. They're like prayers, and they're helpful to me.

Q5. Finally, can we expect to see something new from you in the future?

[Sean]: You can! As soon as I get the money. And, Matt, it's going to be the best fucking movie you've ever seen.

- Thank you for taking the time to chat with me! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

[Sean]: Thank you so much.

_________________________________________________________________________________

You can purchase Beach Pillows via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/beach-pillows/id753293525
or alternatively you can rent the film on Vimeo On Demand at: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/9882

I hope you liked what Sean had to say and stay tuned for more news, reviews and features from myself. Here's a trailer of the film for your viewing pleasure. 


By Matthew Trick


1 comments:

 

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.